Big Bear is a magical place this time of year, making it the perfect escape for your Valentine’s Day weekend. If you are looking to enjoy an enchanting getaway without breaking the bank, here are budget recommendations.
What to Do:
Many of Big Bear’s activities are year long, with the addition of several winter specialties.
• Go for a short winter stroll or hike. Pack hot cocoa, and if creativity strikes, heart shaped marshmallows.
• Curl up next to the fireplace with a good book, deck of cards or favorite board to relax.
• Walk around the Village, enjoying the charming shops and rustic mountain town feel.
• Skiing – Big Bear has a mid week special & Big Bear Mountain Adventure Lodge offers discounted lift tickets.
• Go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. An inexpensive alternative to downhill, these activities are also great workouts.
Where to Eat:
Big Bear has a great section of restaurants, but if you are looking to save on extra food costs, consider these options:
- Pack a picnic & hot cacao.
- Go to a bar and enjoy appetizers (for example- the Big Bear Mountain Brewery).
- Rather than go out for dinner, just go out for dessert! Big Bear has a dozen restaurants serving up spectacular desserts. If you are looking for dessert on the go, check out the Gelato shop.
Where to Stay:
Hostels are one of the most affordable options in Big Bear. And at the Big Bear Mountain Adventure Lodge, we take affordability to the max with free home cooked dinners and breakfasts. With private room options, we offer the perfect budget escape.
For some couples, the experience is the gift. But if you were looking to add an extra touch, consider making your gift. The best part is that all these are easily packable, and you can tuck them away in your suitcase so your significant other won’t find them (well at least most of them).
More than just a Valentine’s Day getaway, Big Bear is a romantic getaway destination of choice all year. Each season brings its own charms, giving you an excuse to visit all year.